Rabu, 23 Februari 2011

Letter to Editor by Fidel Ho, parent of an ARTS-ED's program participant

22 February 2011

I have been following closely on the news on the My Balik Pulau newsletter and I personally feel that those who brought up the issue are just trying to pull a political stunt, maybe because election is near. It is very sad that our country is made up of politicians who resort to such despicable and degrading act.

Even my 15 years old daughter asked me why is it such a big issue of a project with the pure intention to document the history of the community, by the community and for the community when there is so much controversy in our history books. Won’t the history books pollute the minds of millions of our innocent children? She even asked me a simple question, “ Does establishing who occupied the land first bring our country forward as a nation? If yes, then we are doing a great injustice to the orang asli.” A fifteen year old can understand a simple concept like this, what’s wrong with us adults?

I have written a short article about Arts-Ed entitled ‘Heboh way to unity” which was published by The Star on 3 May 2007. It was about one of the biggest program by Arts-Ed, “Heritage Heboh” which brought together children from Penang to tell the story of how Penang started. Not only did it bring together children from different races but also children from different backgrounds. There were children from normal families as well as from homes. My children learnt that not everybody is as fortunate as them and also learnt how to make friends with people from different background without hurting their feeling. The most important thing is they learnt to be more appreciative. This is the moral lesson we want our children to learn, not memorizing  the  definition of thirty six moral values from the textbook and spill it out word by word in the exam. The most comical thing my children told me about the moral exam paper is the definition must be hundred percent same with the text book if you want to score. The ironical part is it doesn’t matter whether the students understand the importance of the value. Good luck to our education system and look what is happening to our society now.

 Also I mentioned how my two children were “stranded” in a Malay friend’s party whom they got to know from Arts-Ed. They were the only Chinese there and most of the guests were pakciks and makciks. When they told us about it over the phone, our immediate reaction was to ask them whether they wanted to leave immediately. We were spendidly surprised when they said no as the pakciks and makciks were so nice to them and they were enjoying the party. I felt like the luckiest and proudest mother at that moment.  Frankly even for us adults, we would want to “cabut” if we were in a room full of strangers not only not our kind but many times not our age.

I am forever grateful to Arts-Ed especially the founder Janet for helping to shape my two lovely children into teenagers who are colour blind as far as race is concerned.  They actually have a “love-hate” relationship with her. They hate her when they get scolded by her during the training but end of the day they love her for learning so much from her. Her style of teaching is so different from school. She gave space to the children to explore themselves. My children joined many camps but none can create such an impact. In fact my son’s exact words recently,” If not for Arts-Ed, I would still be a typical “kiasu” and “kiasi” Chinese nerd who doesn’t bother to have friends from other races.”  Thanks to Arts-Ed, he has transformed from an introvert to a cheerful, caring, daring boy who always makes me laugh until I cry and cry until I laugh. He is now actively involved in his university’s activities and enjoying every minute of it.

The first time I sent my children to Arts-Ed camp was in 2005.  I still remember how they refused to get out of the car when we reached the place. After much persuasion they finally went in. When we went to pick them up later, my husband and I were surprised as both of them were busy chattering about the camp, new friends they made and how they look forward to the next session.  The whole of the following week, all they talked about was the camp. On the day of the next session, they got ready without my usual nagging and made us go there early. We met the organizers, coordinators and facilitators. They were from all races, all ages and most of them were volunteers. Even though they were not paid or paid a minimal amount, they were very passionate about their jobs. They made the children felt at ease especially the younger ones. I can still remember my daughter was so attached to a Malay and an Indian facilitator even though she couldn’t speak much Malay or English yet. I was so impressed with how Arts-Ed runs their programs until I became one of their volunteers and later a part-time employee. They promote racial integration by indirectly making them feel less conscious about their race but more of a Malaysian or rather a Penangite. That is the true 1 Malaysia spirit and it works. Children learnt indirectly how to respect others regardless of their religion and race and they learn to accept and understand that people are different.  Of course there were occasions whereby the children would argue over something  but it was never over anything racial.  Furthermore their programs were all very interesting and most of them were free.

After becoming their volunteer, only I realized how the organization runs on a skeleton staff and budget. One can imagine the challenging and daunting task of getting sponsors, planning and organizing. As a mother, I can imagine the challenges of dealing with so many children especially the hyperactive ones.

To say Arts-Ed is a racist organization is sheer nonsense. Those who make police report s against the newsletter are people who have nothing better to do or rather they think the police have nothing better to do. Police should be doing what they are supposed to do which is primarily taking care of the safety of the citizens. But thanks and no thanks to a certain group of ignorant people, they have to spend their time handling all this time wasting and no value add cases. Worst still, it creates disharmony among the people. I wonder what is their real objective. One just need to get feedback from those especially the Malays who have participated in the program  or those who have worked with Arts-Ed to find out  what Arts-Ed is all about and all the great job they have done for the community.

I personally feel we need organization like Arts-Ed to revamp our education system. Once again I would like to thank Arts-Ed for being there and doing what they are doing . Please do not  quit because of some ruthless politicians. Hang in there. You are one of the genuine NGOs that really care about the community and the future of our children. The truth will prevail.

Fidel Ho